Study Abroad in Japan: Financial Aid for Study in Japan

Yes, Japan is expensive. But the cost of study abroad need not be prohibitive. And there are sources of financial aid for overseas study.

The first place to check is your campus international programs or study-abroad office. If you go to Japan through your school's exchange program, your tuition at the overseas college or university you attend will usually be the same as a your tuition at home. If you receive financial aid, it should apply to your study abroad.

Many universities also have special scholarships for study abroad, using funds contributed by foundations, companies, or alumni groups. Ask your Japanese teacher or to the department of Japanese or Asian studies on your campus about these and other scholarships.

In addition to financial aid from your own college or university, there are independent sources of scholarships and grants for study abroad. Many universities and programs in Japan offer their own scholarships to overseas students. Check with the International office at your host school for information.

Study Abroad Scholarship Suggestions

Affordable Colleges Online
Affordable Colleges Online offers an online guide to study abroad and advice on how to do it affordably. Go to

American Field Service: Two Full Scholarships to Japan from AFS
AFS-USA is offering two full scholarships for American high school students to study in Japan for one year, beginning March 2012. Applicants should be highly motivated and interested in promoting international understanding. Applications due September 2011; for more information, visit .

Blakemore Asian Language Fellowships
Scholarships for advanced language training for students planning to pursue careers related to Asia.Contact: Griffith Way, Trustee
Blakemore Foundation
1201 Third Avenue, 40th Floor
Seattle, WA 98101-3099
Tel: 206-583-8778
Fax: 206-583-8500

Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
Government-funded scholarships for study in areas of the world outside western Europe, Canada, and Australia. Recipients are required to fulfill a service requirement by working in higher education or for the US government. Application available online. The national deadline for applications is usually in mid February. However, most campuses have a local representative to assist with the application process. Contact your university's study abroad office to find out if your campus has an earlier deadline.Contact: 1400 K St. NW Suite 650
Washington, D.C. 20005
Tel: 800-618-6737
Fax: 202-326-7672
Web site:

Bridging Scholarships for Study Abroad in Japan
Administered by the American Association of Teachers of Japanese and funded by donations from businesses, individuals, and foundations, these scholarships offer stipends of $2,500 and $4,000 to American undergraduate students studying abroad in Japan on semester- or year-long programs. Applications are received twice a year, in April and October. Since 1999, more than 1,500 students have been funded for study in Japan.Contact: AATJ Bridging Project
366 UCB
1424 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80309-0366
Tel: 303-492-5487
Fax: 303-492-5856

Center for School, College, and Career Resources
The nonprofit Center for School, College, and Career Resources has an informative website offering guidance on finding a study abroad program that suits you, as well as finding financial aid and other types of support for study abroad.
Center for School, College, and Career Resources
316 California Ave. #1301
Reno, NV 89509

College Women's Association of Japan - Undergraduate Scholarships for Non-Japanese Women
For non-Japanese women studying Japanese language, humanities and liberal arts.
Contact: CWAJ Scholarship NJW
Lion's Garden Ikedayama #312
5-22-2 Higashi Gotanda
Tokyo 141 JAPAN

Critical Language Scholarships
The United States Department of State has added Japanese to the list of languages included in its Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program for overseas intensive summer language institutes in critical-need foreign languages. Critical Language Scholarships provide group-based summer intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences for seven to ten weeks. Students may apply for one language, and will be placed at institute sites based on language evaluations after selection. Levels available for Japanese are Intermediate or advanced level. Students of diverse disciplines and majors are encouraged to apply. While there is no service requirement attached to CLS Program awards, participants are expected to continue their language study beyond the scholarship period, and later apply their critical language skills in their future professional careers. Applicants must be US citizens, and must be enrolled in a US degree- granting program at the undergraduate or graduate level.
Website for information and applications:

Diversity Abroad List of Scholarships for Study in Japan
Diversity Abroad offers its own Ambassador Scholarships for study abroad, and also lists other sources of funding specifically for students going to Japan on its website
Website for information and links to 10 scholarship opportunities:

Foundation for Asia Pacific Education
The Foundation for Asia Pacific Education is a non-profit organization located in Denver, Colorado, whose mission is to create global citizens and leaders by assisting students in achieving their personal and professional goals of obtaining cultural and academic experiences within the Asia Pacific region. The Foundation awards scholarships to help enable students to obtain an international experience in any of 32 countries of the Asia Pacific region. Students who are from underrepresented populations in international education are a priority. Applications for four different categories of scholarships are accepted three times a year (deadlines are December 31, April 30, and August 31); scholarships are in amounts ranging from $500 to $2,000. Applicants must be enrolled in a North American college or university where transfer credits from a program abroad will be applied to the degree being earned.
Website for information and application forms:

Freeman-ASIA Awards for Study in Asia
Freeman-ASIA accepts applications from U.S. citizens or permanent residents studying at the undergraduate level at a two-year or four-year college or university who demonstrate financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia. Scholarships are offered for Fall, Spring, and Summer Programs.
Website for information and application procedures:

Gilman International Scholarships for Undergraduate Study Abroad
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and administered by the Institute of International Education, this program enables students who have limited financial means the opportunity to participate in study abroad opportunities worldwide. The program provides awards of up to $5,000 for U.S. citizen undergraduate students at two- and four-year institutions to pursue country-based semester or academic-year long study opportunities abroad. To be eligible students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application and cannot be studying abroad in a country currently under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or in Cuba. For more information, full eligibility criteria, application deadlines and the online application please access the Gilman Program website at Application Deadlines for 2013: Summer Programs (4 weeks or longer) - March 5; Fall Term/Academic Year Programs - March 8; Spring Term Programs - October 15.
Information on deadlines and application forms are available at

Harry S. Truman Scholarship
Scholarships for international study for students who show great leadership ability, are interested in government and intend to go to graduate school.Contact: Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation
712 Jackson Place NW
Washington, DC 20006
Tel: 202-395-4831
Fax: 319-337-1204

IES Achievement Scholarships

The Institute for the International Education of Students (IES) Achievement Scholarship Program is open to students who will be studying on an IES program and have a cumulative GPA of 3.30 or above. IES merit scholarships range from $500 to 50% off the IES program fee.
Applications and application requirements can be found at

Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowships
JSPS is an independent administrative institution, established for the purpose of contributing to the advancement of science in all fields of the natural and social sciences and the humanities. As a Japanese national core funding agency, JSPS carries out a variety of programs, including funding research, fostering researchers, and promoting international scientific cooperation. For more information on JSPS's activities and fellowship program, please visit

Monbukagakusho Scholarships
The Japanese Government Ministry of Education and Science (Monbukagakusho) is offering four types of scholarships for the 2003 or 2004 academic year. The Monbukagakusho scholarships will enable foreign students from 110 countries to study and research a broad range of topics in Japan. For applications and deadlines please contact the Consulate General of Japan nearest you.
(1) The Japanese Studies Scholarship is a one-year scholarship for university students who wish to pursue Japanese Studies. Applicants must be enrolled as undergraduate students outside Japan at the time of applying and must be enrolled in the home institution at the time when they return to their home countries. Applicants must also be US nationals, over 18 and under 30 years of age as of September 1, specializing in a field related to the Japanese language or Japanese culture as either a major or minor. Applicants must also have a good knowledge of the Japanese language.
(2) The Research Student Scholarship is available to university or college graduates who have completed 16 years of education. The area of research must be related to the applicant's undergraduate major. Applicants must also be US nationals, be under 35 years of age as of April 1, and have a high-level of Japanese proficiency. Those applicants with less than a college-level of Japanese proficiency will be asked to participate in a six-month language course in Japan prior to research.
(3) The Senshu Gakko Scholarship is for students who wish to study at Japanese technical or professional schools beginning in the next academic year. The term of these scholarships is for three years, from April through March. One year of Japanese language study is followed by two years of study in the chosen field. Applicants must be US nationals in good health, at least eighteen years and less than twenty-two years of age as of April 1, and must have completed a twelve-year regular course of school training or equivalent before the term of the scholarship begins. Applicants must study the Japanese language and will receive technical training in Japanese. Fields of study available include, but are not limited to: Civil Engineering, Architecture, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Telecommunications, Nutrition, Infant Education, Secretarial Studies, Hotel Management, Tourism, Fashion/Dressmaking, Design, Photography.
(4) The scholarship for In-Service Training for Teachers is offered to teachers who wish to study at Japanese universities for professional improvement. Applicants must be under 35 years of age as of October 1,and be willing to study in Japan from October to March at a university selected by the Monbukagakusho. In principle, applicants must be university or teacher training college graduates and must work as teachers in primary or secondary schools, or on the staff at teacher training institutions who have at least 5-years experience in their terms of service. University academic staff members are not eligible.
For information regarding the any of the four scholarships listed above, please contact the Consulate General of Japan nearest you.

Reitaku Foundation of America
Two full scholarships to study for one year at Reitaku University near Tokyo.Contact: Reitaku Foundation of America
5335 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Suite 900
Washington, DC 20005
Tel: 202-537-7423
Fax: 202-537-7455

The Rotary Foundation

Various scholarships for study in Japan at varying levels of language ability.Contact: Scholarships Program Supervisor
The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International
One Rotary Center
1560 Sherman Avenue
Evanston, IL 60201
Web site:

Sankei Grants for Non-Japanese Students

Scholarships for students of advanced level Japanese to study in Japan.Contact: The Sankei Shimbun
Sankei Media Services
1-7-2, Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 100-77 JAPAN
Tel: 011-81-3-3275-8696

Other Scholarships

CIEE Travel Grants

Council International Study Programs awards Bowman Travel Grants to high school and undergraduate students participating in study, work, and volunteer programs in non-traditional destinations (including Japan). Applicants must fulfill at least one of the following eligibility criteria:

--be participating in a program sponsored by Council;
--be enrolled at, or participating in a program sponsored by, a Council member institution or an institution that has been appointed as an Official International Student Identity Card (ISIC) Issuing Office.

Awards will be made in the form of a voucher, to be exchanged at Council Travel for round-trip air travel to the program destination.

Other scholarships offered by Council for its own study programs include:

--Bailey Scholarships, awarded to participants in Council's Study Center or University Direct Enrollment programs. Applicant must be self-identified as a member of an under-represented group in study abroad.
--International Study Program Scholarships. These awards are funded by the International Study Programs Division of Council and are awarded on the basis of need and merit. Applicant must be planning to participate in a Council Study Center program AND be enrolled at a Academic Consortium member school to qualify.

For information on any of these awards, contact Janet Grunwald at Council ISP at 212-822-2686, or 1-800-40 STUDY, x2686. For complete information and applications, visit Council's web site, You may also request scholarship information from Council by calling 1-800-40STUDY Specific questions regarding the Bowman Grant should be addressed to Janet Grunwald at 212-822-2686.

Scholarships for International Students in the United States

Scholarships for International Students Studying in the U.S.

Other Sources of Information's Guide to Resources for Study Abroad

International Education Financial Aid

Scholarship Help

Guide to Internships for College Students