AATJ Annual Fall Conference
The 2014 American Association of Teachers of Japanese (AATJ) Annual Fall Conference will take place November 21-23 in San Antonio, Texas, in conjunction with the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Annual Convention and World Languages Expo. The venue will be the Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center in downtown San Antonio.
** SCROLL DOWN FOR INFORMATION ABOUT JNTO'S FREE BREAKFAST SEMINAR **
Information on registration and housing for the conference can be found at www.actfl.org/convention-expo. Current members of AATJ can register at ACTFL member rates ($200 until July 9; $215 from July 10 to October 29; $310 onsite).
Register online or by completing and sending this paper registration form to the ACTFL office by mail or fax.
WHEN YOU REGISTER FOR THE CONFERENCE, PLEASE BE SURE TO INDICATE THAT YOU ARE A MEMBER OF AATJ, SO THAT OUR ORGANIZATION AND OUR FIELD WILL GET CREDIT FOR YOUR ATTENDANCE.
• This year, AATJ will sponsor two concurrent sessions, a total of more than 40 panels and presentations. Please take a look at the AATJ-sponsored session program.
• AATJ Special Sessions include a special panel on assessment; the AATJ Teacher Award Luncheon and General Membership Meeting; sessions on using technology in the classroom, the impact of study abroad in disaster-affected northeastern Japan; using assistant teachers from Japan; and more.
• In addition to the AATJ-sponsored sessions, the ACTFL conference program will feature a number of other Japanese-related presentations and dozens of general-interest panel sessions.
• The Japan Pavilion in the Expo (Exhibit) Hall will feature entertainment, exhibits by publishers, travel agents, universities, and other companies and services related to our profession.
• Tickets for the AATJ Luncheon (Saturday) are $40 in advance and $47 after October 29. AATJ strongly recommends that you purchase a luncheon ticket when you register online for the conference. ** If you have already registered without purchasing a luncheon ticket, you can go back to the online registration site, log in again, and look for a section at the bottom called "Update/Upgrade Reservation," where you can add the luncheon. Or you can contact ACTFL by phone at 508-743-8561 or fax at 508-743-9626 (have the confirmation number you received when you first registered available), or purchase your luncheon ticket from the on-site registration desk in San Antonio. **
• The AATJ Reception will be held from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm on Saturday. The reception will be preceded by a membership meeting and a special panel on assessment.
View the Schedule of AATJ-Sponsored Sessions at the Fall Conference
Invitation to "Visit Japan" Breakfast Seminar
The Japan National Tourist Organization (JNTO) is sponsoring a "Visit Japan" Breakfast Seminar on Saturday, November 22, from 7:00 - 8:00 a.m at the Grand Hyatt Hotel. The event is free, but reservations are requested as capacity is limited. For information in Japanese and instructions on how to reserve a spot, please download this invitation. The deadline to apply is September 30.
Grants for AP Japanese Workshop at ACTFL
The College Board’s Advanced Placement Program® is offering financial assistance to participate in a full-day workshop for AP® Japanese Language and Culture held in conjunction with the ACTFL Annual Convention. This financial assistance is possible through a generous grant from the Japan Foundation Los Angeles. The AP Japanese workshop will be held on Thursday, November 20, from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM. Financial assistance of up to $365.00 will be awarded to 14 high school teachers to cover fees for (1) the AP Japanese workshop and (2) registration for the ACTFL convention. To attend the workshop, participants must register for and attend the convention. Click here to download complete information on how to apply for this special funding.