AATJ Annual Fall Conference
The 2013 American Association of Teachers of Japanese (AATJ) Annual Fall Conference will take place November 22-24 in Orlando, Florida, in conjunction with the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Annual Convention and World Languages Expo.
Information on registration and housing for the conference can be found at www.actfl.org. Current members of AATJ can register at ACTFL member rates ($190 until July 10; $205 from July 11 to October 30; $300 onsite).
Register online or by completing and sending this paper registration form to the ACTFL office by mail or fax.
WHEN YOU REGISTER FOR THE CONFERENCE, PLEASE BE SURE TO INDICATE THAT YOU ARE A MEMBER OF AATJ, SO THAT OUR ORGANIZATION AND OUR FIELD WILL GET CREDIT FOR YOUR ATTENDANCE. WE ALSO STRONGLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO BECOME A MEMBER OF ACTFL, WHICH ALLOWS AATJ TO RECEIVE PART OF YOUR REGISTRATION FEE.
The ACTFL Convention's venues will be the Orange County Convention Center in downtown Orlando and the neighboring Rosen Center Hotel.
• This year, AATJ will sponsor three concurrent sessions at the Rosen Centre conference headquarters hotel, a total of more than 60 panels and presentations. Please take a look at the AATJ-sponsored session program.
• AATJ Special Sessions include a panel celebrating the 50th anniversary of the founding of our professional organization; the AATJ Award Luncheon and General Membership Meeting; sessions on Expanding the Japanese Teacher Community through AATJ Special Interest Groups, Teaching Literature in the Language Classroom, 21st Century Skills in Action; and more.
• In addition to the AATJ-sponsored sessions, the ACTFL conference program features the following Japanese-related panel sessions: (1) Learning Outcomes of Multimedia Blogging in a Japanese Language Classroom, Friday (11/22), 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM, in Room W305B (Orange County Convention Center); with presenter Tomoko Oda (Indiana University of Pennsylvania); (2) Global Classmates: Increasing Japanese Language and Cultural Proficiencies through Technology, Saturday (11/23), 8:00 - 9:00 AM, in Room W305B (Orange County Convention Center); with presenters Andrew Scronce (Kizuna Across Cultures and Langley High School), Ayako Smethurst (Kizuna Across Cultures), and Shanti Shoji (Kizuna Across Cultures); (3) Varying Classroom Instruction to Aid Japanese Vocabulary Development (ACTFL Research Roundtable), Saturday (11/23), 4:00 - 5:00 PM, in Grand Ballroom C (Rosen Centre Hotel); with presenters Brett Walter, Laura Ballard, and Kelly Torres.
• The Japan Pavilion in the Expo (Exhibit) Hall will feature entertainment, exhibits by publishers, travel agents, universities, and other companies and services related to our profession.
• Tickets for the AATJ Luncheon (Saturday) are $49 in advance and $59 after October 30. AATJ strongly recommends that you purchase a luncheon ticket when you register online for the conference. ** If you have already registered without purchasing a luncheon ticket, you can go back to the online registration site, log in again, and look for a section at the bottom called "Update/Upgrade Reservation," where you can add the luncheon. Or you can contact ACTFL by phone at 508-743-8561 or fax at 508-743-9626 (have the confirmation number you received when you first registered available), or purchase your luncheon ticket from the on-site registration desk in Orlando. **
• The AATJ Reception will be held from 6:15 pm to 8:15 pm on Saturday.
View the Schedule of AATJ-Sponsored Sessions at the Annual Fall Conference